Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay continued his fine scoring form with Scotland during their Euro 2024 qualifier against Georgia on the road.
Steve Clarke’s side booked their spot in the final competition during the last international break but the manager still picked a strong outfit yesterday.
McTominay scored a vital equaliser to make it 1-1 after the break. Khvicha Kvaratskhelia’s second goal on the night put Georgia on the cusp of victory before a dramatic finish.
Lawrence Shankland came off the bench to score a stoppage time equaliser for the Scots.
McTominay was undoubtedly the stand-out performer for the visitors. He netted his seventh goal of the qualifying campaign at the Boris Paichadze Dinamo Arena.
Aside from his strike, McTominay completed 42 out of his 43 passes – an accuracy of 98 per cent.
He completed 100 per cent of his long balls and dribbles and lost possession on just four occasions.
The midfielder has been in sparkling form for his country and will be aiming to end the qualifying campaign on a high against Norway at home on Sunday.
McTominay needs to replicate his performances at club level
The 26-year-old has been a revelation for his country over the past year but he has been unable to replicate the same level of performances at club level with United.
His passing accuracy is down at 83 per cent in the Premier League this term. He also tends to lose possession more often. This has been a reason behind him being in and out of the line-up.
With Casemiro’s injury, he has the opportunity to establish himself as a regular starter. McTominay has shown willingness to get into the box but has not converted his chances lately.
He will need to step up with consistent displays following the international break or else, manager Erik ten Hag has the option of picking Sofyan Amrabat over him in the XI.
Stats from Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action