Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay was in top form as the Red Devils secured a 3-1 Premier League win over Arsenal at Old Trafford.
The Scotland international had been an undisputed starter in the holding midfield role for three games running, but questions were raised when he was picked over Casemiro against the Gunners.
However, the 25-year-old answered his critics with a superb showing over 90 minutes. He completed 100 per cent of his passes attempted on the day.
Aside from this, he won two tackles while making four clearances. McTominay lost possession on just five occasions which is quite impressive indeed.
The midfielder also made a good tactical foul on Gabriel Jesus. Right at the end, he made a terrific interception to deny Gabriel Martinelli an easy tap-in.
It was certainly an excellent showing from the United graduate, who has stepped up his performances since being reinstated into the starting line-up.
With the competition from Casemiro, he will be aware that he can’t rest on his laurels, and needs to perform consistently at a high level to keep his place.
He has certainly been doing that over the past four games and we don’t see Ten Hag dropping him to the bench for the Premier League games anytime soon.
Casemiro has had to patiently wait on the bench, but we definitely see him starting against Real Sociedad in the Europa League at home on Thursday night.
Meanwhile, United’s victory yesterday has taken them within one point off the Champions League places.
It has been a tremendous turnaround after losing their first two games. The Red Devils have an away trip to Crystal Palace this weekend which could be tricky.
Ten Hag made just a solitary change against Arsenal with Antony being handed a debut. He could go with an unchanged side if Marcus Rashford is deemed fit.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and SofaScore.com
- Pogba admits he fell short of expectations at Manchester United
- Rashford and Martial doubtful for Manchester derby after missing training
- Roberto Carlos names two current Man United players he would like to play with
- Three Manchester United winners from the international break
- ‘He makes my game easier’ – Bruno Fernandes full of praise for Eriksen
- Diogo Dalot hoping for a new Man United contract with Europe’s elite clubs eyeing up transfer
- Manchester United midfielder gives verdict on Ronaldo’s performance after Portugal’s 1-0 defeat
- Ben Foster advises Jude Bellingham to join Manchester United
- Manchester United: Shaw and Ferdinand back Maguire after England horror show
- Cody Gakpo’s form could reignite interest from Manchester United in January