Bayern Munich midfielder Ryan Gravenberch would prefer to join Manchester United over Liverpool if he were to leave the German champions, Foot Mercato report.
The Dutchman joined the Bundesliga holders from Ajax in the summer of 2022. He managed just 937 minutes across all competitions during his debut season at the club.
The 21-year-old was an unused substitute for the German Super Cup last weekend, and Foot Mercato claim that United and Liverpool have ‘reactivated their track’.
No offer has been made, but the young midfielder ‘prefers to join’ United in case of a departure.
Gravenberch’s desire to join United is unsurprising
The Netherlands international was one of the most sought-after young midfielders during his time at Ajax. He was handed his debut by manager Erik ten Hag.
The midfielder has failed to replicate the showing with Bayern due to the lack of regular playing time. Last season, he played under 600 minutes in the German top-flight.
His situation seems unlikely to improve this season. Joshua Kimmich, Leon Goretzka and Konrad Laimer are currently competing with him for the two midfield positions.
Kimmich is an undisputed starter under manager Thomas Tuchel. The German head coach is likely to choose between Goretzka and Laimer for the other starting role.
This could open the possibility of Gravenberch heading for the exit door, but Bayern won’t make it easy.
With the transfer window closing in just over two weeks’ time, the Bavarian giants may hold out for a significant fee or request for a loan deal with a mandatory buy clause.
It is unclear whether United can afford the Dutchman at the moment. They may need at least another midfield departure before they can pursue his signature from Bayern.
Gravenberch is reportedly open to joining United and we are not surprised. Ten Hag played a big role in his early development. There could be another reunion after Andre Onana.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns