Wolverhampton Wanderers midfielder Ruben Neves is keen on joining Manchester United this summer, according to journalist Jacque Talbot.
The Red Devils are hot on the pursuit of a new midfielder, and it has been constantly reported that they are in negotiations with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong.
However, there have also been links with Neves over the past few weeks. Speaking to GIVEMESPORT, Talbot has now revealed that the Portuguese fancies a move to Old Trafford.
He said: “I think he’s vying for a move away, but I don’t know where he’ll go. I think he wants Man United – it’s the idea – but I don’t really see how he can benefit them, to be honest.”
Neves has vast experience in the Premier League with Wolves where he has been a consistent performer. In the recent campaign, he averaged an impressive 2.1 tackles per game.
The 25-year-old is now said to be eyeing a fresh challenge elsewhere. Barcelona were initially considered as the leading contenders to sign him, but they are in a dire financial situation.
This has led to speculation with the Red Devils, but we don’t see a move happening unless there is a breakdown in negotiations for De Jong. Even then, they could be put off by the price tag.
Wolves are eyeing a hefty £70 million to part ways with their prized asset, and the Red Devils are unlikely to pay such a figure, judging by their ongoing negotiations with Barcelona for De Jong.
The Mancunian giants have only offered £52m as a fixed fee for the Netherlands international which is short of the £69m price tag. This is acting as a stumbling block to finalise the deal.
Neves would be a quality acquisition for United with his tireless workrate, defensive contributions and ability to create chances, but a deal seems improbable unless Wolves lower their valuation.
Even then, he could be considered as an alternative to De Jong. We don’t see United pursuing two central midfielders this summer with a number of other key positions in need of reinforcing for next season.
A new central defender, right-back, right-winger and a centre-forward could be signed. There are also suggestions that the club could be eyeing another left-back. They have been linked with David Raum.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Manchester United plan to enter the transfer race for Moises Caicedo
- Impressive stats come to the fore following massive performance from Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes for Portugal
- Real Madrid join Man Utd in race to sign Argentine star Enzo Fernandez
- Facundo Pellistri shines for Uruguay in 2-0 World Cup defeat to Portugal
- FA Cup third round draw: Man Utd to host Everton at Old Trafford
- Casemiro scores wonder goal as Manchester United duo help Brazil move into last 16 at the World Cup
- Man Utd plan to recall Ethan Laird if Aaron Wan-Bissaka leaves in January
- Man Utd target Sergej Milinkovic-Savic impresses for Serbia in World Cup thriller vs Cameroon
- Man Utd should sign Vincent Aboubakar from Al-Nassr on loan in January
- Manchester United midfielder Fred opens up on taking inspiration from legendary World Cup-winning Brazil squad