Roy Keane showered praise on Wout Weghorst after he scored in Manchester United’s 3-0 victory over Nottingham Forest in the first leg of the Carabao Cup semi-final last night.
The 30-year-old arrived at Old Trafford earlier this month on loan from Burnley. He was with Turkish club Besiktas, but his loan was cancelled ahead of a move to United.
Weghorst earned his debut against Crystal Palace and was also part of the line-up against Arsenal last weekend.
However, the Dutchman failed to score in both matches, leading to many fans questioning his abilities.
But Weghorst opened his account for United on Wednesday and Keane was highly impressed with the striker.
He told Sky Sports (via The Sun): “Great finish – look at his [Weghorst’s] reactions.
“People have been critical that he’s come to the club. That’s what he’s been brought to the club for. Huge goal for United.”
Best signing given the circumstances
United desperately need to sign a centre-forward in this transfer window.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s departure in November left them with only Anthony Martial as a recognised senior striker.
However, transfer funds at Old Trafford were reportedly limited after they spent heavily on Casemiro, Antony, Tyrell Malacia, Lisandro Martinez and Christian Eriksen last summer.
Considering the circumstances, Erik ten Hag’s side made a brilliant decision by signing Weghorst.
The 30-year-old doesn’t boast much pace but has averaged a goal every two games during his career,
The Netherlands international is hardworking and links up exceptionally well with other players.
He has opened his account for United, and fans will hope he contributes more goals in the coming weeks.
- Man Utd have received 10 loan proposals for Anthony Elanga ahead of transfer deadline
- Victor Lindelof emerges as Inter Milan transfer target to replace outgoing star
- Crystal Palace will wait until summer to sign Man Utd defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Man United boss insists there is still room for improvement from Antony after Reading display
- Erik ten Hag confirms ankle injury blow for Christian Eriksen after Reading win
- Casemiro excellent for Man Utd in 3-1 FA Cup fourth round win over Reading
- Harry Maguire sends a tough message to Erik ten Hag over the lack of game-time
- Manchester United 3-1 Reading: Three talking points as Casemiro electrifies Old Trafford crowd
- Man Utd tried to sign Milan Skriniar, he is holding out for PSG transfer
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities