Roy Keane: Jose Mourinho ‘irritating’ but the right man for Manchester United
Roy Keane believes that Jose Mourinho is the right man to lead Manchester United, although he did label the Portuguese as “irritating.”
Mourinho was named as Louis van Gaal’s successor at Man United on Friday, a decision which divided those associated with the club.
Some have hailed Mourinho’s pedigree within the game, but others believe that his off-field antics and tendency to neglect youth are not becoming of a United manager. Keane acknowledged Mourinho’s flaws but insisted that he approved of the appointment.
“He was always going to be a good option when United didn’t qualify for the Champions League,” Keane said.
“Fantastic CV and seems like a good fit. Maybe not for me. He’s not my kind of cuppa tea. I find him really irritating when I’ve coached against him, but that’s just a personal thing.”
It’s hard to think of many people who Keane approves of so Mourinho will not take the comments too personally. Keane’s most high-profile fall out came with Sir Alex Ferguson prior to the Irishman’s Old Trafford departure in 2005 during his playing days.
Mourinho has certainly divided United’s fanbase but most are agreed that his determination to win trumps all else.
United supporters have been forced to settle for mediocrity for too long and Mourinho’s arrival should signal a return of a winning mentality at the club. And that’s exactly how it should be.
- Ralf Rangnick confirms two Man Utd starters vs West Ham United
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Barcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele tempted by Man Utd move
- Will Jesse Lingard move to Newcastle or Tottenham this transfer window?
- Man Utd cool down interest in Denis Zakaria
- Man Utd may not approve Ralf Rangnick’s wish to sign Amadou Haidara
- Juventus in direct contact with Man Utd over Anthony Martial loan deal
- Man Utd receive Martial-Dembele swap proposal from Barcelona
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Brentford
- Ralf Rangnick provides injury update on three Man Utd stars