The Portuguese, not the sort of man one would normally associate with a lack of confidence these days, arrived at Old Trafford a month after Beckham had departed for Real Madrid and revealed he had no intentions of taking on the famous number 7 shirt.
“When I arrived at Man United, I asked for 28 but the coach said ‘No, you will wear 7’,” he said.
“I was petrified as I knew Beckham wore that shirt. But I took on the challenge and since then it has been my lucky number. I have won everything in football with that shirt.”
It’s fair to say that during his six seasons at United he didn’t do a bad job with the number 7 on his shoulders.
- Man Utd eyeing summer deal for Aston Villa’s John McGinn
- Man Utd offered chance to sign Ousmane Dembele for cut-price fee
- Man Utd interested in RB Leipzig midfielder Amadou Haidara
- Juventus interested in Man Utd forward Anthony Martial
- Man Utd have an eye on Barcelona defender Ronald Araujo
- Bruno Fernandes stands out in Man Utd’s draw vs Aston Villa
- Ralf Rangnick impressed with Anthony Elanga’s showing vs Aston Villa
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Aston Villa vs Man Utd
- Ralf Rangnick confirms Alex Telles will start vs Aston Villa
- Aston Villa vs Manchester United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups