Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku was absent from training again today as we prepare for Wednesday’s clash against Juventus in the Champions League this week.
The Belgian star was dropped in our win over Everton more than a week ago but had been widely-expected to return to the side in our victory over Bournemouth this past weekend. However, Lukaku wasn’t even named among the substitutes.
In Lukaku’s absence, Alexis Sanchez started up front alongside Anthony Martial and Juan Mata, before Marcus Rashford came off the bench to score our stoppage time winner against the Cherries on Saturday.
This morning the Metro are reporting that the 25-year-old was absent from today’s session following an injury picked up in training on Friday. Failing to train today means Lukaku may well miss Wednesday’s game in Italy. We certainly wouldn’t expect the striker to start at the Allianz Stadium given his lack of playing time of late.
Jose Mourinho had originally been hoping that his striker would return to training today. This means Alexis Sanchez could start up front against the Italian giants in Turin this week. Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford are the Portuguese coach’s other options for the central role in our attacking trio.
We currently sit second in our Champions League group – five points behind Juventus and two ahead of Valencia, who face Young Boys on Wednesday. We were beaten 1-0 at home by Juventus last time out.
- Jadon Sancho reunion would be appealing for Borussia Dortmund but there are reservations
- Manchester United to assess fitness of three players ahead of their Premier League clash with Crystal Palace
- Daley Blind sends warning to Man Utd midfielder Donny van de Beek
- Man United plan contract talks for rising star Hannibal Mejbri
- Sofyan Amrabat only wanted Man Utd this summer, eyes permanent stay
- Roy Keane sends message to Jadon Sancho after Man Utd exile
- Manchester United’s under-21s suffer 8-1 thrashing against Bolton Wanderers
- Man Utd have fresh solution at left-back with Sofyan Amrabat
- Alejandro Garnacho reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s performance against Crystal Palace
- Casemiro delivers masterclass performance against Crystal Palace in Carabao Cup