Roma are planning to pursue the signature of Manchester United defender Diogo Dalot during this summer’s transfer window, Gazzetta dello Sport claims.
Dalot spent the previous campaign on loan with AC Milan, registering two goals and three assists from 33 appearances in all competitions.
This saw him reinstated into United’s first-team plans, but he has struggled to nail down a regular role with just 17 Premier League appearances.
Ahead of the summer, there have been suggestions that United are eyeing another quality right-back. This could pave the way for Dalot’s exit.
Roma boss Jose Mourinho was United’s manager when Dalot was signed from Porto, and he appears keen on a reunion during the summer.
Dalot has seen more minutes in the right-back position under interim boss Ralf Rangnick, but he was recently displaced by Aaron Wan-Bissaka, much to his own surprise.
United currently face a conundrum with Dalot being more effective with their attacking play while Wan-Bissaka has been generally solid when it comes to the defensive contributions.
This could urge United to pursue another right-back who provides the right balance on both ends. Dalot could be the most likelier to leave if such a situation arises this summer.
Dalot is effectively contracted to United until June 2024 (12 month option considered), a year less than Wan-Bissaka, who has been an established member of the first-team squad.
The 23-year-old was the subject of a late approach from Borussia Dortmund during the last summer transfer window. He could now be tempted by a reunion with Mourinho.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd should sign Youri Tielemans
- Anthony Martial could stay at Man Utd despite being ‘transfer listed’
- Thomas Zilliacus could consider buying Liverpool if Manchester United bid fails
- Man Utd could avoid signing Houssem Aouar despite journalist claim
- Newcastle United in advanced talks to sign Man Utd’s Head of Young Recruitment David Harrison
- 100% aerial duels & 100% take-ons won: Man Utd should target Amadou Onana
- Wout Weghorst opens up on life at Man Utd
- Fresh date confirmed for Man Utd’s postponed fixture, one more game rescheduled
- ‘Serious option’: Raphael Varane opens the door to retiring at Man Utd
- Man United owners will consider selling minority shares if revised bids don’t impress them