Roma are planning to pursue the signature of Manchester United defender Diogo Dalot during this summer’s transfer window, Gazzetta dello Sport claims.
Dalot spent the previous campaign on loan with AC Milan, registering two goals and three assists from 33 appearances in all competitions.
This saw him reinstated into United’s first-team plans, but he has struggled to nail down a regular role with just 17 Premier League appearances.
Ahead of the summer, there have been suggestions that United are eyeing another quality right-back. This could pave the way for Dalot’s exit.
Roma boss Jose Mourinho was United’s manager when Dalot was signed from Porto, and he appears keen on a reunion during the summer.
Dalot has seen more minutes in the right-back position under interim boss Ralf Rangnick, but he was recently displaced by Aaron Wan-Bissaka, much to his own surprise.
United currently face a conundrum with Dalot being more effective with their attacking play while Wan-Bissaka has been generally solid when it comes to the defensive contributions.
This could urge United to pursue another right-back who provides the right balance on both ends. Dalot could be the most likelier to leave if such a situation arises this summer.
Dalot is effectively contracted to United until June 2024 (12 month option considered), a year less than Wan-Bissaka, who has been an established member of the first-team squad.
The 23-year-old was the subject of a late approach from Borussia Dortmund during the last summer transfer window. He could now be tempted by a reunion with Mourinho.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres
- Man Utd sell out season tickets for next season, but when will £200m+ renovation start?
- Harry Maguire makes England squad for Nations League games
- Man Utd handed blow in pursuit of Darwin Nunez
- Erik ten Hag gives his verdict on Harry Maguire’s Man Utd captaincy
- Man Utd to receive summer spending boost with £48m cleared off wage bill
- Erik ten Hag looking forward to Donny van de Beek reunion
- Bruno Fernandes produces dismal display at Crystal Palace
- David de Gea sends clear message to unhappy Man Utd stars