Manchester United are expected to sign a striker this summer as Erik ten Hag will be left with only Anthony Martial when Wout Weghorst returns to his parent club.
Cristiano Ronaldo had his contract mutually terminated in November, so Weghorst was brought in as a temporary replacement in January. However, he will go back to Burnley in June as he’s not done enough to earn himself a permanent deal.
United have been linked with Tottenham Hotspur’s Harry Kane and Napoli’s Victor Omishen, but transfer expert Ekrem Konur says that Robert Firmino might be an option after ‘offering himself’ to the Red Devils.
The 31-year-old ‘will leave Liverpool at the end of the season and wouldn’t be a bad option on a free transfer after scoring ten goals with five assists from 27 games in 2022/23.
United would have stiff competition for his signature, as Konur says Firmino has also offered himself to Arsenal, Inter Milan and Barcelona.
The Brazilian international joined Liverpool from TSG Hoffenheim in 2015 and has gone on to make 354 appearances, scoring 108 goals with 79 assists.
Firmino is out of contract this summer and failed to agree a new deal, so Liverpool will release him in the coming months.
United need a centre-forward and would undoubtedly prefer one with Premier League experience and a good scoring record, so they could do a lot worse than Firmino. The big issue is signing a Liverpool player, as the two bitter rivals seldom do business.
United haven’t signed or sold a player directly from or to Liverpool this century, so Firmino may not be on their radar.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books