Manchester United legend Rio Ferdinand has urged Harry Maguire to leave the club after starting on the bench against Wolverhampton Wanderers on New Year’s Eve.
The England international had an impressive World Cup in Qatar but since his return, he has been limited to just two substitute appearances while missing the Carabao Cup fourth round tie through illness.
Manager Erik ten Hag preferred to continue with Luke Shaw in central defence alongside Raphael Varane yesterday and Ferdinand believes Maguire should start looking for ‘a new club right now’.
He told BT Sport via The Mirror: “It raised eyebrows when you saw Victor Lindelof and Harry Maguire on the bench – it shows what Ten Hag thinks of those two guys! If I’m Harry Maguire, I’m looking for a new club right now. He’s faultless for England.”
“At Man Utd, it hasn’t worked out for him. This new manager is showing him he’s not going to be one of the top two centre backs. I’d be telling my agent to go and find me a new club where I can play regularly and enjoy my football.”
Maguire could leave Man Utd in the summer
Maguire had a good run of performances for the Three Lions at the World Cup. It was anticipated that the £27 million-rated star could cement a starting spot at United with Lisandro Martinez being away.
However, Casemiro was preferred ahead of him against Burnley where he was ill. He has been in the matchday squad for the last two outings, but Shaw has got the nod for the left centre-back role.
Ten Hag has talked about Maguire’s fitness levels recently, but in our opinion, the manager may have picked Shaw in order to have a left-footed option at the heart of the defence.
Shaw has done exceptionally well from the position in the last two games, but he could move to left-back against Bournemouth with Martinez likely to return to the starting line-up.
Meanwhile, Maguire should be concerned over his future on the back of recent snubs by Ten Hag. We won’t be surprised if he decides to head for the exit door in the summer.
Ten Hag has already said that Maguire must adapt to competition for places.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd have received 10 loan proposals for Anthony Elanga ahead of transfer deadline
- Victor Lindelof emerges as Inter Milan transfer target to replace outgoing star
- Crystal Palace will wait until summer to sign Man Utd defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Man United boss insists there is still room for improvement from Antony after Reading display
- Erik ten Hag confirms ankle injury blow for Christian Eriksen after Reading win
- Casemiro excellent for Man Utd in 3-1 FA Cup fourth round win over Reading
- Harry Maguire sends a tough message to Erik ten Hag over the lack of game-time
- Manchester United 3-1 Reading: Three talking points as Casemiro electrifies Old Trafford crowd
- Man Utd tried to sign Milan Skriniar, he is holding out for PSG transfer
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities