Manchester United are expected to sign a striker this summer as they’ll be left with only one natural centre-forward in the squad when the season ends.
The Red Devils signed Wout Weghorst on loan in January, but the 30-year-old has bagged just one goal and one assist in 11 appearances, so he’s unlikely to join permanently.
Anthony Martial is United’s other senior striker, but he’s spent most of the campaign on the treatment table, so Eric ten Hag needs a new face.
Napoli’s Victor Osimhen is believed to be on their shortlist after netting 20 goals and four assists in 24 games in all competitions this season, and Rio Ferdinand believes it would be a smart move.
He told BT Sport via Manchester Evening News: “I think if I was talking about investing and looking after my money, I’d probably go for Osimhen. There’s resale value with his age at 24 years old. It’s gonna be a huge outlay.”
Osimhen joined Napoli from LOSC Lille in 2020 and has made 86 appearances in all competitions, scoring 48 goals with 13 assists. He boasts 15 goals and eight assists from 23 games for Nigeria too.
Napoli paid €75m (£66.2m) to sign the 24-year-old and reportedly want in excess of €100m (£88.2m) this summer, so United would have to dig deep.
They won’t be the only club after Omishen with Chelsea and Liverpool credited with an interest, so there could be a bidding war in the coming months.
Martial has scored a respectable six goals from 14 games across the board this season despite injury, but he hasn’t hit double figures for league goals in the last three years.
Weghorst’s performances haven’t been too bad, but he’s spurned too many opportunities in the final third, so Ten Hag will likely upgrade the pair.
United have a fervent need for a prolific centre-forward, resulting in Aleksandar Mitrovic being suggested as a potential option, but Omishen would arguably be the better option.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups