Rio Ferdinand has showered praise on former Manchester United midfielder David Beckham, dubbing him as one of the best players of his generation.
The Red Devils legend is more popular nowadays for his role with Major League Soccer club Inter Miami, and Ferdinand believes many of the new generation football fans do not appreciate the qualities and abilities the former England international brought to the pitch.
The pundit insists just a few current players have been able to replicate the crossing and creative abilities Beckham had in his heyday in the middle of the park, comparing Manchester City star Kevin de Bruyne and his Arsenal counterpart Martin Odegaard to him.
“Undoubtedly the best crosser of the ball I have ever seen,” Ferdinand said about Beckham on his YouTube channel.
“If you have got to compare anyone in today’s game, it is De Bruyne. I would say, is the closest thing to Becks.
“Becks could play that position. He could either play the holding midfielder in today’s game or the number 8/10 that plays in that area, like Kevin de Bruyne or Odegaard if we are talking of the Premier League at the moment.”
Beckham spent nine years in the Premier League with Man United before moving to Real Madrid in 2003.
He bagged 85 goals and 120 assists in 394 games for the Red Devils, winning six top-flight titles, two FA Cups and one Champions League.
He made the PFA Team of the Year four times and has since been inducted into the Premier League Hall of Fame.
Beckham is the first Englishman to win league titles in four countries having also picked up the La Liga, Ligue 1 and MLS titles during his illustrious playing days.
He still holds the record for the most free-kicks (18) scored in Premier League history and the most free-kicks scored in a Premier League season (five in 2000-01).
Man United could do with such a player in the middle of the park right now, and it is safe to say they have not had a midfielder like Beckham since he left.
The 48-year-old recently admitted he would love to feature in some capacity if the proposed Man United takeover happens.
According to fresh reports, Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad Al Thani’s takeover of the Red Devils from the Glazer family is expected to be completed by October, and it will be interesting to see if the Saudis approach Beckham after it happens.
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns