Manchester United are on the lookout for a long-term solution at left-back.
Ashley Young made the position his own last season but his days are numbered as he turned 33 on Monday, and it’s an out-and-out defender.
The England international fought off competition from the likes of Luke Shaw, Matteo Darmian, Daley Blind and Marcos Rojo to start 28 Premier League games for us last season.
It comes as little surprise that we’ve been linked to a number of replacement options this summer. Celtic’s Kieran Tierney is one of those that has been strongly linked with us. And the Manchester Evening News are reporting that we will make an offer for the 21-year-old, but not until next summer.
The report states that Jose Mourinho’s priority for the remainder of the summer is to bring in a new centre-back, following the arrivals of Fred, Diogo Dalot and Lee Grant.
Kieran Tierney is a highly-rated left-back who has been with Celtic for 13 years. Other top European clubs, including Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Chelsea and Arsenal have all been linked with the youngster. Jose has even scouted him in person.
It has been reported in the past that we have made an offer to the Scottish champions for the full-back, but nothing has ever come of that. Now the Manchester Evening News believe it will be another 12 months before we plan to bring the Scottish international to Old Trafford.
The risk is that he will get snapped up by one of our rivals. The positive is that he’ll gain another season of first-team football at Celtic, with the potential of getting more European experience under his belt too. Presumably Jose doesn’t feel he’s ready to hold down a regular spot in the Manchester United team just yet. Though you’d think signing him now and loaning him out for a season would be a sensible idea. Tierney is tied down to a contract until 2023 which means Celtic hold the power in any negotiations.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Alejandro Garnacho’s market value skyrockets but Man Utd unlikely to cash in on prodigious forward
- Manchester United midfielder Sofyan Amrabat was hours away from joining Liverpool this summer, set to join Sports Entertainment Group
- Jadon Sancho deactivates Instagram account following exile from Man United facilities
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe restructuring his offer to buy Man Utd
- Phil Jones studying to become a sports director and doing his coaching badges with Manchester United
- Jorge Mendes spoke to Man Utd regarding Joao Felix before Barcelona move
- Alejandro Garnacho has big point to prove vs Crystal Palace tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Man Utd watching Javi Guerra every game, classify him as a top player