Manchester United have certainly not been alone with injuries to first-team players but the club could well be handed a double boost as the Red Devils enter the business end of the season.
Both Christian Eriksen and Anthony Martial have endured spells on the sidelines but the return of the duo should add further boosts to the feel-good factor growing at Old Trafford under manager Erik ten Hag.
Creative Boost To Come From Eriksen
One of the big signings over the summer, Eriksen’s first campaign with United has certainly been an eventful one. The Red Devils are outsiders at 13/1 with a bet on English Premier League title winners and Eriksen has played an important role in putting United in the conversation for the trophy. Even with an ankle injury against Reading on January 28 seeing Eriksen sidelined, he still led the way as United’s top assist provider with seven in the league after the club’s first 24 games. Arsenal at 10/11 in the Premier League title odds are the ones to chase down after those first 24 games and Eriksen’s return can help United narrow the gap on the Gunners. With a wealth of experience under his belt, the 31-year-old Dane has proven he is still a serious creative threat in the English top flight before that unfortunate injury against Reading.
United were understandably drawn to Eriksen’s services after his efforts on a short-term deal with Brentford last season. The chance to land the former Tottenham Hotspur and Inter Milan star on a free deal was too good for United to pass up and his form has justified the club’s pursuit of him over the summer. The Brazilian duo of Casemiro and Fred have formed a strong partnership in front of the defence but Ten Hag will relish the prospect of Eriksen returning to offer that creative spark in the middle of the park.
Martial Can Offer Rashford Support
There have been some promising performances from Martial this season but ultimately it has been a frustrating campaign for the Frenchman that has been blighted by injuries. Martial has had issues with his hamstring, Achilles and back this season, which will have come as a disappointment to ten Hag and the player himself. However, there is no doubting the impact the former Monaco starlet can have when he does return to match fitness.
Three goals and three assists in his first nine Premier League appearances this season is certainly not a bad return for the 27-year-old. If the medical team at Old Trafford can get Martial back fit and put together a significant run of appearances, it could go a long way to relieving some of the pressure on top goalscorer Marcus Rashford. The England international is enjoying a remarkable season but United have run the risk of being over-reliant on their homegrown star. A return for Martial would certainly relieve some of that pressure if he can continue his scoring and assist rate from earlier in the season.
United are battling hard to keep themselves in the title race and the returns of Eriksen and Martial should give the Red Devils the added boost to chase down old Premier League rivals Arsenal.
- Man Utd have their eyes on Dusan Vlahovic, Juventus open to selling him
- Man Utd interested in signing Andre Onana, Inter could sell him for €40-50m
- Erik ten Hag could unleash Alejandro Garnacho vs Man City after Antony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd’s next striker: Three stars on the radar
- FA Cup final preview: Manchester City vs Manchester United – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Major blow for Manchester United with Anthony Martial set to miss FA Cup final against Man City
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United