Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea sent a brilliant reaction on Twitter following the club’s 3-1 comeback win over West Ham United in the FA Cup fifth round.
The Red Devils went 1-0 behind in the 54th minute at Old Trafford last night but they made a late fightback. An own goal from Nayef Aguerd put them level before Alejandro Garnacho’s 90th-minute match-winner. Fred put the result beyond doubt with a third goal in stoppage time.
Garnacho was awarded the man of the match for scoring United’s crucial second goal, but De Gea was equally impressive between the sticks and kept the contest alive.
The Spaniard has been brilliant in goal for United this term and he made six saves in yesterday’s Cup tie. This included two key stops to deny Michail Antonio in either half.
De Gea has been simply world-class for the Red Devils after an indifferent start to the season and he recently entered the club’s record books with the most clean sheets.
The 32-year-old received a special award from Sir Alex Ferguson for his achievement and he posted the picture on Twitter after yesterday’s victory with the word ‘resilience’.
United have been in splendid form following the season restart after the World Cup. De Gea has been pivotal in goal, making countless number of world-class saves.
The 32-year-old has also caught the eye with his distribution and mobility in the box and there are no surprises that talks are underway over a new long-term contract.
De Gea’s current deal expires in June this year but United have the option of triggering a 12-month clause. Instead, they plan to keep him longer with an obvious pay-cut.
In our view, it is a no-brainer decision for the club with De Gea in the form of his life. The Spaniard could easily continue as United’s number one for the next four or five years.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups