Memphis Depay is reportedly open to joining Manchester United from Barcelona late in the transfer window.
That’s according to football journalist Dean Jones who told GiveMeSport that the Holland international has already been offered to United this summer.
Erik ten Hag is clearly on the hunt for a top-class centre-forward, with Cristiano Ronaldo facing an uncertain future at the club.
The Dutchman has already signed Lisandro Martinez, Tyrell Malacia, Christian Eriksen, Casemiro and Antony this summer.
The addition of someone like Depay really would cap off a great summer window. And it seems as though there’s every chance of that happening..
Memphis Depay open to Manchester United move
Jones has told GiveMeSport how Depay returning to Old Trafford before the transfer window closes tomorrow night is far from impossible:
“Memphis has been offered to them, he’s not against the idea of a return. There are a couple of people at the club that are a bit sceptical about whether he’s the right fit for the direction they’re heading, and it would still be a slight surprise if he turned up.”
We think that signing Depay would be the icing on top of the cake for Ten Hag this summer. If Ronaldo leaves Old Trafford before deadline day, the Barcelona star would be the ideal man to come in and lead the line for Ten Hag’s side. Or at the very least, provide strong competition for Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial.
The former United ace is an enigmatic, precocious talent and on his day, he is unplayable. Depay is incredibly strong as well and would be ideally suited to leading the line on his own for United. The Barcelona ace has been described as a player with ‘unreal skill’ by the Metro.
The 80-capped Holland international possesses exceptional technical ability and has a penchant for the extraordinary. Depay bagged 13 goals and two assists in 38 games for Barca last season.
Depay has been described as a ‘world-class talent’ by Manchester Evening News. Despite struggling during his first spell at Old Trafford, we think he could be a huge hit this time around.
It remains to be seen whether United are prepared to meet Barcelona’s demands for Depay though.
That would be a serious outlay for United, considering how much money they’ve already spent this summer. This is one that probably won’t happen in our view.
Stats via Transfermarkt.
- Omonia Nicosia 2-3 Manchester United: Three talking points as Marcus Rashford continues his stellar form
- Erik ten Hag reveals his plans for Anthony Martial after injury comeback
- Three Man Utd stars with a big point to prove against Omonia
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Omonia, Ronaldo and Martial start
- Manchester United’s Five Greatest European Performances
- Man Utd include Iqbal and Garnacho in 22-man squad for Omonia clash
- Four Man Utd stars miss training ahead of Omonia Nicosia clash
- Man Utd should sign Goncalo Ramos as Cristiano Ronaldo’s replacement in January
- Europa League Preview: Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United
- Saudi PIF were offered 30% stake in Man Utd before Newcastle takeover – The Athletic