Manchester United could reportedly try to sign experienced Norwich City goalkeeper Tim Krul in the summer transfer window.
That’s according to The Sun who claim that United have turned their attention to the 34-year-old after struggling to convince Yann Sommer to move to Old Trafford to sit on the bench.
Erik Ten Hag needs more competition in the goalkeeping department with Dean Henderson joining Nottingham Forest on loan and Tom Heaton now on the wrong side of 36.
The problem is getting someone in who is happy to play second fiddle to David de Gea whilst being good enough to push the Spaniard. That’s clearly not an easy task.
Ten Hag seemingly has someone specific in mind for the job though.
Manchester United eyeing Tim Krul move
The Sun reckon that Krul is on United’s radar, with a move to sign Sommer proving to be very difficult.
Krul is a decent shot-stopper and is a proven Premier League performer, having spent more than a decade with Newcastle United.
The experienced goalkeeper is also experienced at international level, having earned 15 caps for Holland.
He was famously brought on as a 120-minute substitute by ex-United boss Louis van Gaal in place of Jasper Cillessen during the 2014 World Cup quarter-final against Costa Rica, due to his history of saving penalties.
Cillessen was clearly unhappy with Van Gaal’s decision – one that caused huge uproar at the time. However, it was one that paid off, as Krul saved two spot-kicks and Holland progressed to the semi-final.
We actually think he would be a decent back-up option for De Gea, on a short-term deal of course.
Some United fans will believe that they should be aiming for a lot better than Krul, and that’s fair enough. The reality is that an elite goalkeeper will not want to move to the club to be the number two.
Unless Ten Hag signs someone to replace De Gea, Krul is the kind of goalkeeper that United fans will probably have to settle for this summer.
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner
- Gary Neville says Marcus Rashford should be a guaranteed starter for England vs Senegal
- Man Utd handed blow with Benfica set to hand new contract to Goncalo Ramos
- Cristiano Ronaldo closing in on January move to Al Nassr