Manchester United could be set to go head-to-head with Arsenal and Newcastle United for the signing of Napoli striker Victor Osimhen.
That’s according to a report from Area Napoli who claim that a fierce battle lies ahead for the 24-year-old with United, Arsenal and Newcastle all keen to bring him to the Premier League.
The bad news for all three clubs is that Napoli owner Aurelio De Laurentiis will demand a whopping €150 million (£130 million) for the Nigeria International.
Erik Ten Hag brought Wout Weghorst to Old Trafford this month, but he is a stop-gap signing.
The addition of a world-class ‘number nine’ will be the main priority for the Dutchman in the summer transfer window.
And it seems the United boss has his eye on one man in particular.
Manchester United face big competition for striker
The Red Devils want to sign Napoli hitman Osimhen, as do Arsenal and Newcastle. So Ten Hag’s task clearly won’t be an easy one, and he won’t come cheap either.
The thing is, the Nigerian may well be the man who fires United back to glory on all fronts, so he could be worth the massive fee in the long run.
It’s also worth noting that Osimhen is out of contract with Napoli in 2025, so the Serie A side will surely have to lower their demands for him.
Whatever happens, Ten Hag should be going all out to get the signing of the Napoli forward over the line.
Described as an ‘explosive’ striker by The Sun, Osimhen is one of the very best around. He racked up an impressive 18 goals and six assists in 33 games for Napoli last season. This term, he has 12 goals and four assists in 14 Serie A games to his name.
The Nigerian possesses blistering pace and is extremely strong. He’s good in the air and would act as a superb focal point for United’s attacking play.
£130m is a massive fee for United to splash out on the striker. However, as mentioned earlier, they may well be able to pick him up for less than that amount.
And if Ten Hag manages to bring Osimhen to Old Trafford in the summer, United will be in a great position to mount an assault on the Premier League and the Champions League.
Stas via Transfermarkt.
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out