Manchester United are reportedly being priced out of a move to sign Barcelona forward Memphis Depay this summer.
That’s according to a report from Mundo Deportivo (print edition August 28, page 3) who claim that Barcelona are ‘demanding a higher amount’ than United ‘could reach’.
It was recently claimed that Depay is waiting for United boss Erik ten Hag to make an official move to bring him to Old Trafford this summer.
The Dutchman is keen to leave Camp Nou this summer (Sport), but there have been no takers with his £16.9 million asking price and £160k-per-week salary (Salary Sport) proving problematic.
And it seems as though United are not prepared to pay the amount that Barca are asking for.
Manchester United priced out of Depay move
Mundo Deportivo reckon that United cannot reach the amount being demanded by Barcelona for the 28-year-old.
We think that signing Depay would be the icing on top of the cake for Ten Hag this summer. If Cristiano Ronaldo leaves Old Trafford before deadline day, the Barcelona star would be the ideal man to come in and lead the line for Ten Hag’s side. Or at the very least, provide strong competition for Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial.
The former United ace is an enigmatic, precocious talent and on his day, he is unplayable. Depay is incredibly strong as well and would be ideally suited to leading the line on his own for United. The Barcelona ace has been described as a player with ‘unreal skill’ by the Metro.
The 80-capped Holland international possesses exceptional technical ability and has a penchant for the extraordinary. Depay bagged 13 goals and two assists in 38 games for Barca last season.
Depay has been described as a ‘world-class talent’ by Manchester Evening News. Despite struggling during his first spell at Old Trafford, we think he could be a huge hit this time around.
Whether United are prepared to meet Barcelona’s demands for Depay before the transfer window slams shut remains to be seen though.
Read also: £5 million PL player reportedly pleading with his club to join Man United.
Stats via Transfermarkt.
- Fabrizio Romano confirms Dean Henderson is close to Nottingham Forest transfer
- Victor Lindelof set to be offered fresh terms by Man Utd, Erik ten Hag wants to keep him
- Man Utd keeping tabs on Leon Goretzka amid Bayern’s pursuit of Declan Rice
- Man Utd step up interest in signing Atalanta sensation Rasmus Hojlund
- Glazers give green light to pursue deal for Chelsea star Mason Mount
- Man United keeping tabs on Chicago Fire midfielder Brian Gutierrez
- Jack Butland completes Rangers medical as Man United exit all but confirmed
- Kim Min-jae ready to say yes to Man Utd, €7m per year deal proposed
- Man Utd could return for Barcelona star Ansu Fati as Ten Hag eyes another left winger
- Man Utd closely following Sporting defender Goncalo Inacio