Manchester United have been handed a huge boost with the news that Dan-Axel Zagadou has decided to move to the Premier League rather than Serie A.
That’s according to a report from Calcio Mercato Web who claim that the 23-year-old free agent has decided against a move to Roma or Inter Milan with United keen to sign him.
Media Foot Marseille recently claimed that United boss Erik ten Hag wants to bring Zagadou to Old Trafford this summer.
The Dutchman has already brought Lisandro Martinez to the club but is keen to get rid of Eric Bailly and Victor Lindelof (Forza Roma).
So the addition of another top-class central defender may well be needed, if United are to enjoy a successful 2022/23 campaign on all fronts this season.
Manchester United have a great chance to sign Dan-Axel Zagadou
According to CMW, the ex-Borussia Dortmund ace is destined for a move to the Premier League this summer. West Ham United are in the race for his signature as well according to Sport1.
Man United should be going all out for Zagadou though. He really is an elite defender and the chance to sign him on a free transfer is one that Ten Hag cannot afford to pass up.
The Frenchman only made 15 Bundesliga appearances for Dortmund last season but don’t let that fool you, he really is an exceptional defender.
BVB’s official website describe the centre-back as an ‘incredible’ player. Standing at 6ft 6in tall, Zagadou is strong in the air but he is also quick along the ground.
The Dortmund ace is very good with the ball at his feet as well. In 15 league appearances last season he made an average of 60.2 passes per game and registered an impressive 88.2% completion rate.
He’s left-footed as well – a crucial attribute for any defender United bring in this summer because it means that he can play at left-back if required
There is one huge red flag for United to take note of though – the defender’s horrendous record with injuries. Since 2018, Zagadou has missed 563 days of action through injury. Most of his problems have been with his knee and he recently underwent surgery to fix that particular issue.
His availability on a free transfer means that he will be a low-risk signing for United though, despite his recent injury problems.
And we think that Zagadou would be an exceptional signing for United on a free transfer this summer.
Read also: Manchester United reportedly could sell 28-year-old for £17 million this summer.
Stats via Who Scored and Transfermarkt.
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season
- Tottenham Hotspur will resist Harry Kane sale to Man Utd this summer
- Three midfielders Manchester United could sign from the relegated Premier League clubs this summer