Manchester United are reportedly not deterred by the £66 million price tag for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa.
That’s according to Portuguese media outlet O Jogo, who claim the 23-year-old’s €75m (£66m) release clause must be met if he is to leave Estádio do Dragão in January or next summer.
With Erik ten Hag desperate to add a top-class goalie to his ranks, United are thought not to be put off by the asking price.
David de Gea is now 32 and is out of contract in 2023, although United have the option of extending that deal by a further 12 months.
Meanwhile, Dean Henderson is spending the season on loan with Nottingham Forest, and his long-term future with United is uncertain.
Signing a world-class centre-forward and goalkeeper could very well be the missing pieces for Ten Hag, as he strives to get his United side back to the top of the tree in England and Europe.
And it seems as though the Dutchman is very keen to secure the latter this winter.
Manchester United ready to make Diogo Costa move
The Porto stopper would be a fabulous addition to Ten Hag’s ranks at Old Trafford. He is an imposing figure and a superb shot-stopper.
The Portugal international is very good with his feet as well – a necessary requirement for goalkeepers in the modern game.
BT Sport have described Costa as ‘unbelievable’. And they’re not wrong, he is a very good goalkeeper. That doesn’t mean that he is error-proof though.
He made a huge mistake for Portugal at the World Cup that nearly cost his country dearly against Ghana.
However, he is still only 23. That’s like a baby in goalkeeping terms, and he has many years left ahead of him in which to improve.
If United sign Costa for £66m, that would represent very good business for the club in years to come.
- Man Utd have received 10 loan proposals for Anthony Elanga ahead of transfer deadline
- Victor Lindelof emerges as Inter Milan transfer target to replace outgoing star
- Crystal Palace will wait until summer to sign Man Utd defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Man United boss insists there is still room for improvement from Antony after Reading display
- Erik ten Hag confirms ankle injury blow for Christian Eriksen after Reading win
- Casemiro excellent for Man Utd in 3-1 FA Cup fourth round win over Reading
- Harry Maguire sends a tough message to Erik ten Hag over the lack of game-time
- Manchester United 3-1 Reading: Three talking points as Casemiro electrifies Old Trafford crowd
- Man Utd tried to sign Milan Skriniar, he is holding out for PSG transfer
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities