Manchester United are reportedly not deterred by the £66 million price tag for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa.
That’s according to Portuguese media outlet O Jogo, who claim the 23-year-old’s €75m (£66m) release clause must be met if he is to leave Estádio do Dragão in January or next summer.
With Erik ten Hag desperate to add a top-class goalie to his ranks, United are thought not to be put off by the asking price.
David de Gea is now 32 and is out of contract in 2023, although United have the option of extending that deal by a further 12 months.
Meanwhile, Dean Henderson is spending the season on loan with Nottingham Forest, and his long-term future with United is uncertain.
Signing a world-class centre-forward and goalkeeper could very well be the missing pieces for Ten Hag, as he strives to get his United side back to the top of the tree in England and Europe.
And it seems as though the Dutchman is very keen to secure the latter this winter.
Manchester United ready to make Diogo Costa move
The Porto stopper would be a fabulous addition to Ten Hag’s ranks at Old Trafford. He is an imposing figure and a superb shot-stopper.
The Portugal international is very good with his feet as well – a necessary requirement for goalkeepers in the modern game.
BT Sport have described Costa as ‘unbelievable’. And they’re not wrong, he is a very good goalkeeper. That doesn’t mean that he is error-proof though.
He made a huge mistake for Portugal at the World Cup that nearly cost his country dearly against Ghana.
However, he is still only 23. That’s like a baby in goalkeeping terms, and he has many years left ahead of him in which to improve.
If United sign Costa for £66m, that would represent very good business for the club in years to come.
Read also: Marcus Rashford raves about player Ten Hag reportedly wants to sell.
- Kim Min-jae set for Napoli farewell, Man Utd will trigger his release clause
- Erik ten Hag says Antony is ‘unlikely’ to be available for FA Cup final vs Man City
- Man Utd in front row to sign Rasmus Hojlund, contacts have intensified with Atalanta
- Man Utd ‘at the head’ of the race to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd could offer Harry Maguire in player-plus-cash deal to sign Mason Mount
- Man Utd could offer Scott McTominay as a makeweight to sign Declan Rice
- Man Utd could make surprise move for Empoli goalkeeper Guglielmo Vicario
- Kim Min-jae has his window wide open on Man Utd, will cost €58m
- Manuel Ugarte excited by Manchester United interest amid Chelsea and PSG links
- Victor Osimhen’s agent has received calls from Man Utd but Napoli firm on price tag