Manchester United have contacted the representatives of Napoli ace Fabian Ruiz about potentially bringing him to Old Trafford this summer.
Central midfield is clearly an area where United boss Erik ten Hag wants to strengthen this summer.
The Dutchman has been linked with moves to sign Barcelona ace Frenkie de Jong (Sport) and Lazio star Sergej Milinkovic-Savic according to Corriere dello Sport (print edition July 25th, page 14). As things stand, moves for both players are proving to be problematic.
It will be vital for United not to stand on ceremony and chase these players up blind alleys this summer. If they are unattainable, ten Hag needs to move on to other options. And in fairness to the United manager, it seems that’s exactly what he is doing.
Manchester United contact Fabian Ruiz agents
According to a report from Calcio Napoli 24, the Red Devils have initiated formal contact with the representatives of the Napoli star. An official offer has not yet been submitted from United, though.
Mondo Napoli claim that the Italian club want around €50 million (£43m) for Ruiz this summer. That’s a serious amount of money considering how many other central midfield options there are out there for United.
That’s not to say that the 15-capped Spain international isn’t a good player. He most certainly is. Ruiz is out of contract in Naples in the summer of 2023, so Napoli will surely have to lower their demands for the 26-year-old, or risk losing him for nothing next year.
Ruiz can operate in an orthodox central midfield role or the deep-lying position. He can even play further forward in a more attacking role.
Last season, Ruiz bagged seven goals and five assists in 38 games for Napoli. He is an intelligent footballer and a very good passer of the ball with exceptional technique and impressive vision.
In 32 Serie A appearances for Napoli last season, the Spaniard made 67.9 passes per match and recorded a hugely impressive completion rate of 90.5%. He would be a strong addition to ten Hag’s ranks at Old Trafford.
Whether United will be prepared to meet Napoli’s asking price for Fabian Ruiz remains to be seen though.
Stats via Transfermarkt and Who Scored.
- Man Utd very interested in signing Brighton prodigy Moises Caicedo
- Joel Glazer firmly against the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo
- Manchester United offered the chance to sign Antoine Griezmann
- Man Utd weigh up stunning deal for Casemiro
- Man Utd still considering move for Moussa Dembele
- talkSPORT and Fabrizio Romano claim Manchester United are closing in on £42m deal for Matheus Cunha
- Hakim Ziyech remains a priority for Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag
- Erik ten Hag makes direct request to Manchester United board to sign ‘scintillating’ Ajax attacker Antony
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Man Utd to accelerate Wan-Bissaka’s exit to sign Sergino Dest