Manchester United are ‘obsessed’ with signing ‘untransferable’ Frenkie de Jong from Barcelona in the summer of 2023.
That’s according to Spanish publication Sport who claim that the powers that be at United believe that Barca are trying to drive up the 25-year-old’s price by saying they don’t want to sell him.
Despite that, Man United boss Erik Ten Hag is still desperate to bring his countryman to Old Trafford next year.
Ten Hag signed Casemiro last summer from Real Madrid, after missing out on De Jong. However, the Brazilian will be 31 soon, so the addition of another quality player in the mould of the Brazilian will be an absolute must for United.
And it seems as though Ten Hag’s mind is made up as to who he wants to sign.
Manchester United are ‘obsessed’ with signing ‘untransferable’ Frenkie de Jong
With the reports coming out of Spain suggesting that Ten Hag will go all out to bring the Netherlands international to Old Trafford, it seems as though we soon may well see the Barcelona midfielder in a United shirt.
And what a great signing he would be for the Red Devils.
De Jong has all of the attributes needed to succeed in the Premier League and he would be the perfect signing for Man United. He could have a truly massive impact on United’s fortunes – he’s that good.
He bagged three goals and three assists in 32 La Liga games for Barca last season. During those appearances, the Dutchman made 51.2 passes on average per game and recorded a mightily impressive completion rate of 91.3%.
The Dutchman is highly energetic, calm and composed when in possession and a brilliant passer of the ball. He has the quality needed to dictate the tempo of the game and would add so much to the United squad.
De Jong has been labelled as a ‘special’ player by UEFA’s official website. He would undoubtedly be a significant upgrade on Scott McTominay and Fred at Old Trafford.
The ex-Ajax ace has ‘remarkable pace’ (The Mirror). He’s known for many brilliant attributes, but his blistering speed often goes under the radar. He’d be well worth the £55 million that Barca reportedly want for him.
United aren’t far away from challenging for major honours again. The signing of a powerhouse centre-forward is an absolute must. However, Ten Hag cannot afford to ignore the need for reinforcements in central midfield.
And with Frenkie de Jong available for around £57 million (ESPN), Manchester United cannot go wrong by signing the Barca ace.
Stats via WhoScored.
Read also: £25m man out, 19-year-old in would be exceptional value for Man United.
- Man Utd planning fresh move for Atletico Madrid star Joao Felix
- Man Utd plan to track Andre Onana and Goncalo Ramos in upcoming Champions League tie
- Erik ten Hag provides a fresh injury update on Christian Eriksen
- Three emerging French midfielders Man Utd could sign this summer
- Manchester United to play nine games in ‘crazy’ April schedule
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract