Manchester United have agreed a deal for Lazio central midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, according to reports from Italian football agent Matteo Materazzi.
We are certainly in the window for a couple of central midfielders this summer and have been linked to the Serbian international for several months, so this claim, made by Italian football agent, Matteo Materazzi, could certainly be true.
The retirement of Michael Carrick and Marouane Fellaini’s impending departure has forced Jose Mourinho to go into the market for replacements this summer as we are left with only four experienced central midfielders on our books.
Milinkovic-Savic has been one of the favourites to join Manchester United for several months now, whilst Shakhtar Donetsk’s Fred appears to be on his way to Old Trafford as well.
Now it would appear that a deal could be in the bag as agent Materazzi, brother of former Everton and Internazionale centre-back, Marco, believes we have now agreed a deal with Lazio for the 23-year-old.
However, the agent goes on to make a shocking announcement that we are looking to get rid of Paul Pogba before we officially sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic.
When discussing the midfielder in an interview with RMC Sport, Materazzi is quoted as saying:
“In my opinion, he has already been sold for a few months to a team, Manchester United, which is waiting to sell a big [name], Pogba, to formalise the Serbian [’s arrival].
“Lazio is the team that worked better with the human material that was available: hats off to [Igli] Tare and [Simone] Inzaghi.”
Sergej Milinkovic-Savic scored 12 goals and recorded three assists in his central midfield role for Lazio this past season. However, the Rome club’s defeat at home to Internazionale on the final day of the Serie A season last weekend cost them Champions League football – something that could be a huge factor in whether the club decide to sell the player or not this summer.
Earlier this month it was reported that Lazio could be looking in the region of £80 million for their star midfielder. It’s debatable whether we would be prepared to splash such a sizeable sum on a player who has not played Champions League football and only established himself in a top league over the past two seasons.
Jose is certainly on the lookout for a player who could compliment Nemanja Matic and Paul Pogba in our central midfield three and from what I’ve seen of Milinkovic-Savic I’d certainly welcome him at Manchester United.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Alejandro Garnacho’s market value skyrockets but Man Utd unlikely to cash in on prodigious forward
- Manchester United midfielder Sofyan Amrabat was hours away from joining Liverpool this summer, set to join Sports Entertainment Group
- Jadon Sancho deactivates Instagram account following exile from Man United facilities
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe restructuring his offer to buy Man Utd
- Phil Jones studying to become a sports director and doing his coaching badges with Manchester United
- Jorge Mendes spoke to Man Utd regarding Joao Felix before Barcelona move
- Alejandro Garnacho has big point to prove vs Crystal Palace tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Man Utd watching Javi Guerra every game, classify him as a top player