Erik ten Hag is reportedly now very serious about bringing £44 million World Cup star Kim Min-jae to Manchester United.
That’s according to a report from TuttoMercatoWeb who claim that United are ‘ready to strike’ for the 26-year-old South Korea centre-back.
Central defence is clearly an area at Old Trafford where Ten Hag needs to strengthen either in the January transfer window or next summer.
Harry Maguire’s future at Man United is uncertain while Raphael Varane continues to struggle with injury problems.
And it seems as though the Dutchman has someone specific in mind to come in and do a job.
Manchester United serious about signing Kim Min-jae
The Red Devils are ready to mount an assault on Napoli for the central defender. The South Korean only joined the Serie A side from Fenerbahce last summer. But he is already drawing admiring glances from some of Europe’s biggest clubs.
Min-jae would be a very solid addition for United. He is a strong and aerially commanding centre-half. During an interview with the Guardian, the defender labelled himself as a monster and suggested that the word sums up his playing style perfectly.
He has scored two goals in 14 games for Napoli this season and has averaged 1.6 tackles, 1.1 interceptions, 3.9 clearances and 3.1 successful aerial duels per match.
The Napoli ace has averaged 73.7 passes per game on average and has recorded a completion rate of 89.6%.
TuttoMercatoWeb reckon that he could be available for around €50m (£44m). That would represent good value for the Red Devils, and he would certainly provide strong competition for the likes of Varane and Lisandro Martinez.
And if United sign Min-jae, Ten Hag will have seriously strong central defensive options at his disposal at Old Trafford.
Stats via WhoScored.
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy