Erik ten Hag is reportedly now very serious about bringing £44 million World Cup star Kim Min-jae to Manchester United.
That’s according to a report from TuttoMercatoWeb who claim that United are ‘ready to strike’ for the 26-year-old South Korea centre-back.
Central defence is clearly an area at Old Trafford where Ten Hag needs to strengthen either in the January transfer window or next summer.
Harry Maguire’s future at Man United is uncertain while Raphael Varane continues to struggle with injury problems.
And it seems as though the Dutchman has someone specific in mind to come in and do a job.
Manchester United serious about signing Kim Min-jae
The Red Devils are ready to mount an assault on Napoli for the central defender. The South Korean only joined the Serie A side from Fenerbahce last summer. But he is already drawing admiring glances from some of Europe’s biggest clubs.
Min-jae would be a very solid addition for United. He is a strong and aerially commanding centre-half. During an interview with the Guardian, the defender labelled himself as a monster and suggested that the word sums up his playing style perfectly.
He has scored two goals in 14 games for Napoli this season and has averaged 1.6 tackles, 1.1 interceptions, 3.9 clearances and 3.1 successful aerial duels per match.
The Napoli ace has averaged 73.7 passes per game on average and has recorded a completion rate of 89.6%.
TuttoMercatoWeb reckon that he could be available for around €50m (£44m). That would represent good value for the Red Devils, and he would certainly provide strong competition for the likes of Varane and Lisandro Martinez.
And if United sign Min-jae, Ten Hag will have seriously strong central defensive options at his disposal at Old Trafford.
Stats via WhoScored.
Read also: Man United lead race to sign 23-year-old on £8 million loan deal.
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books