Napoli ace Fabian Ruiz is reportedly the ideal Frenkie de Jong alternative for Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag this summer.
That’s according to a report from Goal who claim that Ten Hag is now eyeing a move to bring the 26-year-old midfielder to Old Trafford above all else.
The United manager desperately needs to bolster his central midfield ranks before the transfer window closes. In fact, it was thought to be his main priority before the start of the new 2022/23 season.
Ten Hag has missed the boat there but he cannot afford to allow this transfer window to pass without bringing in a significant central midfield signing.
De Jong appears to be a no-go and in truth, United should just move on now anyway. It’s clear that he doesn’t want to come to Old Trafford. In fairness to Ten Hag, it seems as though that’s exactly what he’s doing.
Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag eyeing Fabian Ruiz swoop
The United boss has now settled on Napoli’s Ruiz as the ideal De Jong alternative.
Ten Hag believes can dictate United’s play with his range of passing and provide a link between defence and attack (Goal).
We recently covered a report from Area Napoli claiming that the 26-year-old could be signed for just £21 million this summer. Meanwhile, Napoli Magazine have suggested that he could cost as much as £25m. Either way, that sounds like fabulous value to us.
Ruiz has been compared to Spain and Barcelona legend Xavi by The Coaches Voice. Whilst he might not be at the same level as Xavi, he certainly possesses similar traits. He can operate in an orthodox central midfield role or the deep-lying position. He can even play further forward in a more attacking role.
Last season, Ruiz bagged seven goals and five assists in 38 games for Napoli. He is an intelligent footballer and a very good passer of the ball with exceptional technique and impressive vision.
In 32 Serie A appearances for Napoli last season, the Spaniard made 67.9 passes per match and recorded a hugely impressive completion rate of 90.5%. He would be a strong addition to Ten Hag’s ranks at Old Trafford.
The comparisons with Xavi come from the way in which he waits until the last possible moment before releasing his passes. He has been described as sensational by The Sun.
We think for £21-25m, the Napoli ace would be a very good signing for United. And it seems as though Ten Hag is thinking exactly the same about Ruiz.
Stats via WhoScored.
- Sir Dave Brailsford and Jean-Claude Blanc meet Manchester United executives at Old Trafford as Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s 25% acquisition edges closer
- Man Utd showing interest in Borussia Dortmund winger Donyell Malen
- Man Utd confirm Amad Diallo has returned to full training ahead of Bournemouth game
- United boss Erik ten Hag shuts the door on January reinforcement
- Ian Wright wants Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag gone once Sir Jim Ratcliffe arrives
- Roy Keane wants Manchester United to ditch Antony, Raphael Varane, Harry Maguire and more
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Manchester United fans after 2-1 win against Chelsea
- Erik ten Hag has another undroppable star in Scott McTominay after Chelsea win
- Sofyan Amrabat produces his best Man Utd display vs Chelsea
- Juventus cool interest in exiled Man Utd star Jadon Sancho due to financial concerns