Borussia Dortmund have lowered their valuation of star winger Jadon Sancho heading into the summer transfer window, per The Times.
Manchester United are long-term admirers of Sancho, with the Red Devils’ interest in the Englishman first emerging in 2017.
Led by Jose Mourinho at the time, the Old Trafford outfit tried to lure the 21-year-old to shift allegiances in Manchester and leave City for United.
However, the prospect of playing regular first-team football took Sancho to Dortmund in a deal worth just £8 million.
The youngster has since gone from strength-to-strength in the Bundesliga, becoming one of the most highly-rated talents in Europe’s top-five leagues.
Although United made several attempts to convince Die Borussen to sell Sancho last summer, the Germans’ stratospheric demands saw Ed Woodward pull the plug on the deal.
With the coronavirus pandemic likely to change the complexion of the upcoming transfer window, the English heavyweights may have the chance to secure Sancho’s services.
Dortmund insisted on a £108 million price tag last summer, but they are now ready to negotiate Sancho’s departure for a more reasonable cost.
United’s £80m offer was knocked back by the Bundesliga club ahead of the 2020/21 season.
This time around, the Signal Iduna Park chiefs are willing to sanction a move if they receive a bid in the region of £86m.
Although Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been given an £80m budget for the upcoming transfer window, the Red Devils will look to raise funds by offloading some fringe players.
Jesse Lingard, Nemanja Matic and Anthony Martial could leave the Theatre of Dreams as part of Solskjaer’s plan to overhaul his squad and bridge the gap on City.
United also continue to monitor the situation around Sancho’s teammate Erling Braut Haaland.
However, the signing of one would certainly exclude the arrival of the other, given the costs involved.
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-3-1-2) vs Arsenal, Ronaldo and Maguire return
- Tactical Analysis: What Ralf Rangnick’s Manchester United could look like
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Man Utd vs Arsenal
- Man Utd fans praise Fred’s midfield performance in Chelsea draw
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Man Utd
- Man Utd could be without seven players for Chelsea clash
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Chelsea
- ‘Carrick’s at the wheel’: Jamie Carragher aims dig at Rio Ferdinand after Man Utd beat Villarreal
- Man Utd fans hail David de Gea’s performance vs Villarreal
- Michael Carrick delivers verdict on Manchester United’s win over Villarreal