Manchester United have been handed a huge boost with the news that Barcelona need to sell Frenkie de Jong in order to sign Bernardo Silva from Manchester City.
That’s according to a report from Spanish publication Sport who claim the City ace is a priority transfer target for Barcelona this summer.
Despite activating ted the ‘third economic lever’ by selling 25% of Barca studios for around £84 million, Barca still need to sell De Jong to cover the fee needed for the 27-year-old Portugal international.
United boss Erik ten Hag is desperate to bring de Jong to Old Trafford this summer, according to a report from Sport. Barcelona reportedly want around £72 million for the 25-year-old and coincidentally that’s similar to what City are demanding for Silva (Barca Universal).
The Catalan giants will have to pay around €80 million (£67m) to sign the City star.
Huge Manchester United boost as £67 million Bernardo Silva transfer could help facilitate De Jong move
If City lose Bernardo it would be a big blow, in spite of the fact that they will receive a massive transfer fee. With that in mind, it will be an even bigger boost for United.
Should United sign De Jong as a result of City selling Bernardo to Barca, it will be the perfect transfer triangle for the Red Devils.
De Jong would be a stunning addition for ten Hag this summer. He bagged three goals and three assists in 32 La Liga games for Barca last season.
During those appearances, the Dutchman made 51.2 passes on average per game and recorded a mightily impressive completion rate of 91.3%.
The Dutchman is highly energetic, is very cool and composed when in possession and a brilliant passer of the ball. He has the quality needed to dictate the tempo of the game and would add so much to the United squad.
City losing one of their best players to help push the de Jong deal through would make it all that much sweeter fo United.
READ…Manchester United reportedly can sign Spaniard for bargain £21 million fee.
Stats via WhoScored.
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season