Manchester United have a deal in place with the agent of Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong ahead of a potential summer transfer.
That’s according to Dutch journalist Marcel van der Kraan who claims that there is an agreement between the Holland international’s agent and United to sign the midfielder.
It’s common knowledge that United have agreed an €85 million (£71m) fee including add-ons with Barcelona to bring the 25-year-old to Old Trafford this summer (The Athletic).
However, there have been huge concerns that De Jong actually doesn’t want to move to Old Trafford to link up with his ex-manager Erik ten Hag. The Express claims he wants to join Chelsea instead.
It seems as though there is still every chance that Ten Hag gets his man though.
Frenkie de Jong agents have agreement with Manchester United
Respected Dutch journalist Marcel van der Kraan told Sky Sports:
“No matter what Frenkie says at Barcelona, they (Man Utd) have a deal with the agent of the player. It just depends on what is happening at the political department of Barcelona over his wages which they still owe him.”
That seems like a big update.
If De Jong’s representatives Ali Dursun and Hasan Centikaya have an agreement in place with United, that surely means that the player himself is open to the move.
This is one that the Red Devils need to get done immediately. Ten Hag’s central midfield was incredibly weak against Brighton & Hove Albion and the 44-capped Holland international would change all of that in an instant.
If United sign De Jong this summer, Ten Hag’s chances of guiding his team to a successful 2022/23 campaign would increase ten-fold.
- Pogba admits he fell short of expectations at Manchester United
- Rashford and Martial doubtful for Manchester derby after missing training
- Roberto Carlos names two current Man United players he would like to play with
- Three Manchester United winners from the international break
- ‘He makes my game easier’ – Bruno Fernandes full of praise for Eriksen
- Diogo Dalot hoping for a new Man United contract with Europe’s elite clubs eyeing up transfer
- Manchester United midfielder gives verdict on Ronaldo’s performance after Portugal’s 1-0 defeat
- Ben Foster advises Jude Bellingham to join Manchester United
- Manchester United: Shaw and Ferdinand back Maguire after England horror show
- Cody Gakpo’s form could reignite interest from Manchester United in January