Antoine Griezmann was reportedly ‘flattered’ when he heard that Manchester United wanted to sign him.
That’s according to a report from Sky Sports who claim United tried to initiate talks with Griezmann’s agent.
Football director John Murtough and recruitment consultant Tom Keane were in Madrid to finalise the Casemiro deal and wanted to speak to Griezmann.
However, the 117-capped France international was committed to playing for Diego Simeone’s side in the Spanish capital.
Barcelona signed the forward from Atletico in 2019 for around £105 million (the Guardian).
He failed to establish himself at Camp Nou and returned to Atleti on loan in the summer of 2021, before joining his old club permanently again in 2022.
However, it seems United tried to beat the Spanish club to the signing of the forward.
Antoine Griezmann was wanted by Manchester United
United tried to initiate talks to sign the 31-year-old but failed to bring him to the negotiating table.
That’s a shame because he is a sensational footballer and would have undoubtedly made a huge difference to United’s attacking play.
It wasn’t to be, but Erik ten Hag realistically should be signing younger players with higher ceilings.
Griezmann would have been a great signing for United, but only in the short-term, and that is the recruitment Ten Hag is trying to get away from.
READ ALSO: Manchester United reportedly want to sign 24-year-old striker in summer window.
- Erik ten Hag says Antony is ‘unlikely’ to be available for FA Cup final vs Man City
- Man Utd in front row to sign Rasmus Hojlund, contacts have intensified with Atalanta
- Man Utd ‘at the head’ of the race to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd could offer Harry Maguire in player-plus-cash deal to sign Mason Mount
- Man Utd could offer Scott McTominay as a makeweight to sign Declan Rice
- Man Utd could make surprise move for Empoli goalkeeper Guglielmo Vicario
- Kim Min-jae has his window wide open on Man Utd, will cost €58m
- Manuel Ugarte excited by Manchester United interest amid Chelsea and PSG links
- Victor Osimhen’s agent has received calls from Man Utd but Napoli firm on price tag
- Manchester United in talks to sign Atalanta’s Rasmus Hojlund and Eintracht Frankfurt’s Randal Kolo Muani