Antoine Griezmann was reportedly ‘flattered’ when he heard that Manchester United wanted to sign him.
That’s according to a report from Sky Sports who claim United tried to initiate talks with Griezmann’s agent.
Football director John Murtough and recruitment consultant Tom Keane were in Madrid to finalise the Casemiro deal and wanted to speak to Griezmann.
However, the 117-capped France international was committed to playing for Diego Simeone’s side in the Spanish capital.
Barcelona signed the forward from Atletico in 2019 for around £105 million (the Guardian).
He failed to establish himself at Camp Nou and returned to Atleti on loan in the summer of 2021, before joining his old club permanently again in 2022.
However, it seems United tried to beat the Spanish club to the signing of the forward.
Antoine Griezmann was wanted by Manchester United
United tried to initiate talks to sign the 31-year-old but failed to bring him to the negotiating table.
That’s a shame because he is a sensational footballer and would have undoubtedly made a huge difference to United’s attacking play.
It wasn’t to be, but Erik ten Hag realistically should be signing younger players with higher ceilings.
Griezmann would have been a great signing for United, but only in the short-term, and that is the recruitment Ten Hag is trying to get away from.
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out
- Nottingham Forest eager to sign Dean Henderson permanently next summer