A selection of Manchester United fans have expressed their frustration over Jesse Lingard’s performance in the aftermath of the club’s 1-1 Premier League draw against Wolverhampton Wanderers on the road.
The 26-year-old was offered the chance to play in the preferred attacking midfield role on Monday night but his performance was below-par with even the young Daniel James putting up a better display.
Lingard has previously impressed Solskjaer with his workrate and high pressing but against an organised Wolves defence, he struggled to create chances and squandered a couple of genuine attempts to find the net.
As such, a few fans have reacted negatively towards the attacker’s display while questioning whether the 27-year-old even deserves a place in the starting lineup for the Red Devils.
Here are some of the reactions on Twitter…
If we miss out on Top 4, large element of it will be because of the stupidity of not buying any creative midfield player. Bruno Fernandes was begging to come and we settled for Lingard fluffing chances and Mata disappearing acts. #mufc
— Hesham Bilal-Hafiz (@hesham786) August 19, 2019
Apart from pressing, what does Lingard offer?
— Liam Canning (@LiamPaulCanning) August 19, 2019
Gary Neville ignoring Lingard’s abysmal performance again, I wonder why.
— Tom (@CynicalLive) August 19, 2019
Bet Lingard is happy at the focus being the pen. Because that guy has been STINKING the place out for time now.
— United Religion (@Unitedology) August 19, 2019
With the anticipated departure of Alexis Sanchez to Inter Milan, Solskjaer finds himself with the lack of senior attacking options and that has somewhat aided Lingard’s regularity from the starting XI.
Still, the England international needs to find ways of contributing towards the team’s cause, considering he has managed just one goal against Arsenal in the FA Cup through the calendar year.
The likes of Mason Greenwood and Angel Gomes are waiting on the wings to take their chances and it may not be long before one of the young duo is handed with a starting opportunity in Lingard’s place.
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m
- Manchester United consider loaning out Mason Greenwood next season