Real Sociedad have opened negotiations with Manchester United over a potential deal for midfielder Donny van de Beek, according to Noticias de Gipuzkoa.
The Netherlands international has been with the Red Devils for the past three seasons, but he has registered just two goals and two assists from 60 games.
The 26-year-old has clearly struggled to adapt to English football, and it could be time for him to pursue a new challenge elsewhere to revive his faltering career.
It is now reported by Noticias de Gipuzkoa that Sociedad have come up with a proposal to sign Van de Beek on loan with an option to buy. Nothing else is specified.
Van de Beek needs to move on from United
The Dutchman joined the Red Devils from Ajax for £35m in September 2020. He arrived with the reputation of being one of the best box-to-box midfielders in Europe.
However, he has simply failed to meet the expectations. Van de Beek has been playing in his shadow at United. His situation has not changed despite working with Erik ten Hag.
Ten Hag managed him for two-and-a-half seasons at Ajax. It was anticipated that Van de Beek could find form under him at United, but that was not the case last season.
In our view, Van de Beek needs to move on from United for his own benefit. He is unlikely to be a regular starter for the Red Devils due to the heavy competition for places.
Bruno Fernandes is an undisputed starter from the attacking midfield role while United have Mason Mount and Christian Eriksen as the regulars for the number eight spot.
At Sociedad, he could be guaranteed playing time from the number 10 role. With David Silva’s retirement, the door is now open for Van de Beek to make the position his own.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action