Real Sociedad have made formal contact with Manchester United over a potential deal for Donny van de Beek, according to Fabrizio Romano.
The Netherlands international has been with the club for the past three seasons, but he has registered just 60 appearances across all competitions.
Van de Beek has shown promise since his return from a knee surgery, but it appears United are still open to the prospect of offloading him this summer.
As per Romano, Sociedad have now opened negotiations with the Red Devils for the 26-year-old after holding talks on the player’s side last week.
The clubs are discussing the terms of the deal, but a move would depend on United’s conditions.
Man Utd likely to part ways with Van de Beek
Van de Beek returned from a lengthy knee injury against Lyon last month. He made an instant impression, scoring the winning goal with a lovely volley in the box.
The Dutchman has since featured in two more friendlies for United. He made a cameo against Real Madrid before grabbing two assists versus Borussia Dortmund.
Despite this, United could part ways with him this summer. Van de Beek has struggled to cope with the Premier League intensity. He has failed to make goal contributions.
His chances of breaking into the starting XI seem unlikely after the purchase of Mason Mount.
Mount and Christian Eriksen are expected to share the minutes in the number eight position.
Meanwhile, the number 10 spot has already been secured by Bruno Fernandes. He is now the captain of the club, and is bound to play every minute in the league.
Hence, we won’t be surprised if United part ways with Van de Beek, who cost £35 million from Ajax.
With two years left on his deal, it could be time to cut their losses on him. Van de Beek could revive his career at Sociedad, who have a void to fill after David Silva’s retirement.
The Champions League outfit are most likely to propose to sign him on loan, but United should demand an obligation to buy if he makes a certain number of appearances.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions