Real Madrid have joined Manchester United in the race to sign PSV Eindhoven attacker Cody Gakpo in January, according to The Mirror.
The Netherlands international has been in sparkling form for club and country. He has bagged 13 goals and 17 assists from just 24 games for PSV this season.
He also stood out for the Dutch in their World Cup campaign with three goals, and there could be widespread interest in signing him in the New Year.
United are firm admirers of the 23-year-old forward, but they are not alone in the pursuit with arch-rivals Liverpool also said to be monitoring his progress.
It is now reported by The Mirror that Madrid are ready to step up their interest in Gakpo after watching him closely in action for Holland at the World Cup.
United must move fast to sign Gakpo from PSV
United were keen on landing Gakpo from PSV during the last transfer window, but a deal did not materialise after they spent their remaining budget on Antony.
Hence, the player has given a clear indication that he would like to move to Old Trafford, but the major talking point remains whether the club will meet the demands of PSV.
PSV are unlikely to sell him for anything less in January. The onus is on United to pay the fee and they must move fast if Madrid have a genuine interest in signing Gakpo.
Gakpo has publicly stated his admiration for the Red Devils lately, but his head could be turned if the European champions enter the race to sign him in the coming weeks.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow as Joshua Zirkzee wants to stay in Serie A
- Man Utd set to battle it out with Tottenham to land Bayer Leverkusen star Odion Kossounou
- Jeremie Frimpong is the most serious target for Man Utd, impressed by his performances
- Ratcliffe outlines three-year plan to knock Man City and Liverpool off their perch
- Manchester United left-back Luke Shaw set to miss the rest of the season
- Is Ashford’s United Arrival Now Simply A Matter Of Time?
- Wayne Rooney identifies Manchester United’s biggest issue right now
- Manchester United invite Gary Neville to help regenerate Old Trafford and surrounding area
- Manchester United’s FA Cup chances – can Hojlund fire the Red Devils to a trophy this season?
- Jadon Sancho struggles in Dortmund’s Champions League draw against PSV