Manchester United stars Rasmus Hojlund and Marcus Rashford got on the scoresheet to earn crucial victories for their respective countries in the 2024 European Championship qualifiers this evening.
Hojlund has been in decent form of late, bagging a brace in Man United’s disappointing 3-2 defeat against Galatasaray before picking up an assist in Denmark’s 3-1 win over Kazakhstan.
The 20-year-old hitman, who has drawn comparisons to Manchester City and Norway sensation Erling Braut Haaland, had already clocked up six goals in the qualifying campaign.
He added to his tally in the Tuesday night fixture against San Marino, helping Denmark secure a 2-1 win with a moment of quality after unleashing a thunderous into the back of the net from a tight angle.
His impressive effort established him as one of the top scorers of the campaign, extending his tally to seven goals, which places him joint-second on the chart alongside England’s Harry Kane.
Club teammate Rashford also starred for his country, finding the back of the net to help England seal qualification for next summer’s tournament in Germany.
Rashford’s goal comes as a huge relief to the Man United talisman, who had gone nine games without scoring for club and country since netting in the 3-1 defeat to Arsenal at the start of September.
After leading Man United to League Cup success and a third-place finish last term with 30 goals and 11 assists in 56 games, Rashford’s form has fallen off a cliff in the 2023/24 campaign.
The Englishman has registered just a goal and an assist in eight Premier League games so far and will hope his strike for England sparks a turnaround in his underwhelming campaign thus far.
Man United manager Erik ten Hag will ask for more of the same from Hojlund and Rashford when his side travel to newly promoted Sheffield United at the weekend.
The Red Devils have picked up 12 points from eight games and will be aiming to secure back-to-back Premier League wins for the first time this season.
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action