Manchester United striker Rasmus Hojlund has revealed that he spoke regularly with manager Erik ten Hag in the lead up to his summer move from Atalanta.
The 20-year-old had a promising debut season with the Serie A outfit and it was enough to convince the Red Devils to spend £72 million to land his signature.
The Dane has yet to find the back of the net in the Premier League, but he has already impressed in the Champions League group stage with three goals.
Speaking to Ekstra Bladet, Hojlund revealed that he spoke with Ten Hag until his transfer and highlighted that a starting role convinced him to make the switch.
He said: “I spoke to the coach up until the transfer. For me it was important to play football and if I had been told that I had to go to Manchester United to be a reserve for the rest of my days, I would never have gone there.”
United yet to see the best of Hojlund
The young striker has got into some terrific positions in the box in the Premier League, but he has not received sufficient service from out wide to score.
Marcus Rashford has had several moments this season where he could have played Hojlund through on goal, but ended up losing possession instead.
In our view, United should see the best of Hojlund in the coming months. The Dane is still getting to understand his teammates and their playing style.
Once United have a settled starting line-up, we should see them improve in the final third. Hopefully, this will happen shortly after the international break.
Hojlund has already shown his class with his stunning solo goal earlier this month. He should fancy at least 20 goals during his debut season at United.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action