Rasmus Hojlund has offered his support to under-pressure manager Erik ten Hag following Manchester United’s defeat in Copenhagen on Wednesday.
Despite tallying an early brace to fire the Red Devils 2-0 up at Parken Stadium, the Denmark international ended up on the receiving end of a 4-3 scoreline against his former side.
Marcus Rashford’s first-half expulsion for stepping on Elias Jelert’s ankle near the United penalty area midway through the first half turned the game on its head, throwing Copenhagen a lifeline.
Jacob Neestrup’s side embraced it as they fought back from two losing positions twice to nail Man United to the bottom of their Champions League group and pour more misery on ten Hag.
Despite racking up five goals in Europe’s most prestigious competition, Hojlund has yet to score in the Premier League but believes the Dutchman is still the best man for the job.
“A really good coach – he cares about every single detail and he helps me a lot, gives me a lot of confidence and supports me,” the 20-year-old said, as quoted by The Guardian.
“I think every player in the dressing room supports him. I hope it is just a matter of time [before United will be successful].
“The first 30 minutes today was some of the best football we have been playing this season.”
While Hojlund tried to be supportive, Man United’s dreadful result in Denmark heavily derailed their chances of progression despite keeping them only a point adrift of Group A runners-up Copenhagen.
It’s a bridgeable gap, yet the Red Devils will play Galatasaray in Istanbul before taking on an unstoppable Bayern Munich side at Old Trafford in the last two rounds.
Ten Hag has overseen nine defeats in 17 competitive matches this season, casting significant doubt on his long-term future in Manchester, meaning every potential upset in the upcoming period could be his last.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin