Manchester United have received a quadruple injury boost ahead of their ‘make or break’ Europa League encounter against Sevilla.
According to The Athletic’s Mark Critchley, star forward Marcus Rashford returned to training for the first time since picking up a groin injury against Everton a fortnight ago.
The 25-year-old was absent as Erik ten Hag’s side squandered a comfortable-looking 2-0 lead in the first leg, courtesy of two late own goals from Tyrell Malacia and Harry Maguire.
United didn’t need Rashford’s services to ease past Premier League minnows Nottingham Forest on Sunday, but he’s skills would be in high demand on Thursday.
His potential return could push underperforming Jadon Sancho to the bench after the Englishman delivered another below-par performance at the weekend.
As serial Europa League winners, Sevilla deserve the benefit of the doubt despite an underwhelming domestic season.
The Red Devils need all the help they can get to prevail in Andalusia, and Rashford is not the only first-team star on the brink of recovery.
Marcel Sabitzer, whose first-half double put Man Utd in a sailing lead at Old Trafford last week, also took part in training after being withdrawn from the line-up at the City Ground during the warm-up.
The Bayern Munich loanee was supposed to start the match at Forest, but he ‘felt something’ during the pre-match practice, as confirmed by Ten Hag in the aftermath.
Malacia and Luke Shaw were also in the group, suggesting Diogo Dalot could return to his favourite right flank after being deployed as a makeshift left-back against the Tricky Trees last weekend.
With Lisandro Martinez and Raphael Varane out of the squad with injuries, Shaw’s possible return could be a massive boost for Man Utd’s porous backline that struggled in the first leg.
The 27-year-old left-back has flourished under ten Hag this season. His experience and defensive quality will be needed to contain Lucas Ocampos, who created plenty of problems for Malacia at Old Trafford.
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m