Manchester United defender Raphael Varane sent a message on Instagram following the club’s 1-0 Premier League win over Luton Town on Saturday.
The Red Devils registered a slender victory over the Hatters at Old Trafford. They dominated the proceedings with possession and chances created, but were not clinical enough.
Rasmus Hojlund missed some big chances in the final third, but the club eventually broke the deadlock through Victor Lindelof before the hour mark of the game.
Varane was surprisingly on the bench again with Lindelof preferred to partner Harry Maguire in central defence. He only came on in the 79th minute.
Following the victory, the World Cup winner took to Instagram and posted a picture of him heading the ball against the Hatters during the closing stages.
Varane no longer an assured starter under Ten Hag
The 30-year-old was an undisputed starter under Erik ten Hag when fit and available last season, but the scenario has now changed with Maguire’s good form.
In that case, the former Real Madrid man could be set for an extended spell on the bench unless there is a further injury crisis and one of Maguire or Lindelof are unavailable.
Varane looked in a positive mood with his Instagram update but questions are bound to be raised over his future if he can’t reclaim a starting spot over coming games.
United are currently sixth in the table with 21 points, six behind leaders Manchester City, who have a game in hand. They face Everton on the road after the international break.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions