Manchester United defender Raphael Varane has expressed his delight after the club confirmed an agreement to sign Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro.
Varane and Casemiro shared fond memories during their time together at the Bernabeu, and alongside Cristiano Ronaldo, they won numerous silverware.
The trio are set to be reunited at United this campaign. A deal in principle was agreed for Casemiro yesterday, and Varane was undoubtedly pleased.
In a post on his official Instagram account, he wrote: ‘Many battles fought together with my warrior Case! Welcome to Manchester, amigo!’.
Casemiro should get the best out of Varane
Varane had an average debut season with the Red Devils last term. While the £36 million signing was troubled by injuries, his performances were also below his standards.
The Frenchman has yet to start a Premier League game this season, but could do so on Monday night against Liverpool with Harry Maguire likely to drop to the bench.
The game should provide another tough challenge for the Red Devils, but the World Cup winner will have more protection in front of him going forward with Casemiro’s arrival.
The Brazilian won’t be facing the Merseyside giants this weekend, but should be available for the Southampton trip next Saturday if the final formalities are completed.
He is one of the best defensive midfielders in world football at the moment, and should provide the much-needed resolve in front of the central defence this campaign.
This should also get the best out of Varane, who often found himself under pressure last season with the likes of Scott McTominay and Fred getting caught out of possession.
Ideally, Casemiro could play as the lone number six with Fred in front of them. The pair have done very well together for Brazil, and have the chance to replicate the same at United.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner
- Gary Neville says Marcus Rashford should be a guaranteed starter for England vs Senegal
- Man Utd handed blow with Benfica set to hand new contract to Goncalo Ramos
- Cristiano Ronaldo closing in on January move to Al Nassr