According to multiple sources, Manchester United are pursuing Real Madrid’s Raphael Varane.
The 28-year-old is looking for a fresh start after spending 10 trophy-laden years in the Spanish capital.
Los Blancos are demanding around €70 million to part ways with the defender.
Varane is a Rolls Royce of a centre-back. The former Lens defender is the Rio Ferdinand the 20-time Premier League champions desperately need.
He is an imperial defender who was touted by Jose Mourinho and Madrid a decade ago.
Madrid had to call in Zidane Zidane to convince the then 18-year-old and his family of the move.
It was clear he was going to be special. If he moves to Manchester, he’ll do so with 19 trophies which include four Champions Leagues, three La Ligas and a World Cup.
Varane won 67.42% of his aerial duels in La Liga last season, more than Harry Maguire (66.76%) and Victor Lindelof (58.08%). To add to that, he’s quick – very quick.
His long legs take marauding strides, which will allow Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side to play higher up the pitch and press more aggressively.
Another issue the Frenchman will sort out is building out from the back. He can beat the press.
He had a 92.88% pass accuracy last season. More than 32% of his passes were forward. His dribble success rate was 57.14%.
He can beat his man, play it short, play it long, play it in between the lines through the midfield or in behind the line of defence.
He is a capable tackler and reads the game exceptionally well, allowing him to make interceptions or win the ball while contesting with strikers. Varane’s physicality will come in handy in England.
He made slightly more mistakes last season but was still an integral part of a Madrid defence that only conceded 25 goals.
After seeing Sergio Ramos leave, he is now looking for a fresh start, after contract issues at the Santiago Bernabeu.
At United, Varane would partner Maguire in the heart of the defence.
With Virgil van Dijk and Ruben Dias leading their teams to the league title in the past two years, it is clear to see the impact Varane could have on United.
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final