Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez are not expected to return to Manchester United until next week following their involvement in the World Cup final on Sunday, The Telegraph report.
Varane was a key player for France en route to the final where they lost to Argentina in a penalty shoot-out. He played 113 minutes against La Albiceleste before being taken off with fatigue.
Meanwhile, Martinez did not play any part against Les Bleus. The 24-year-old was an unused substitute for Lionel Scaloni’s side. However, he was crucial in the victories over Mexico and Netherlands.
It is now reported that both centre-backs have been given a breather after their excursions for their countries and they won’t be returning to the club until next week – no actual date is mentioned.
Varane and Martinez could be out for two matches
It is quite obvious that the duo won’t be available for tomorrow’s Carabao Cup fourth round tie against Burnley at Old Trafford. Harry Maguire looks likely to partner Victor Lindelof in central defence.
Maguire and Lindelof could also continue in the Premier League clash against Nottingham Forest on December 27 as Varane and Martinez won’t be drafted straight into the side without team training.
Hence, the league outing at Wolverhampton Wanderers on New Year’s Eve could be a realistic return date for the pair, who are valued at a combined €90 million by Transfermarkt.
Regardless of this, Erik ten Hag will be expecting a strong performance from his squad, starting from the Clarets clash. Vincent Kompany’s side can’t be underestimated due to their excellent Championship form.
United will go into the Cup tie as clear favourites, but the Clarets have been a bogey club for them. They have avoided a defeat in four of the previous six trips to Old Trafford (one win and three draws).
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd have received 10 loan proposals for Anthony Elanga ahead of transfer deadline
- Victor Lindelof emerges as Inter Milan transfer target to replace outgoing star
- Crystal Palace will wait until summer to sign Man Utd defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Man United boss insists there is still room for improvement from Antony after Reading display
- Erik ten Hag confirms ankle injury blow for Christian Eriksen after Reading win
- Casemiro excellent for Man Utd in 3-1 FA Cup fourth round win over Reading
- Harry Maguire sends a tough message to Erik ten Hag over the lack of game-time
- Manchester United 3-1 Reading: Three talking points as Casemiro electrifies Old Trafford crowd
- Man Utd tried to sign Milan Skriniar, he is holding out for PSG transfer
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities