Manchester United’s interim boss Ralf Rangnick has made it clear to Dean Henderson that he won’t leave on loan next month, Manchester Evening News reports.
The goalkeeper has endured a difficult campaign with the Red Devils. He has made two competitive appearances, having played second fiddle to David de Gea.
He is desperate to move on to secure regular game time. It was recently claimed that he could leave on loan with Ajax interested, but Rangnick has no plans of letting him go.
The decision could reportedly lead to a fall-out between Henderson and Rangnick, but the German wants three quality goalkeepers in the squad.
Henderson may have to wait until the summer to leave on a permanent deal. Tottenham Hotspur are keeping tabs on him with Hugo Lloris’ contract expiring in just over six months.
Henderson was touted to become United’s number one goalkeeper earlier this year. However, he missed the beginning of the current season with a bout of coronavirus.
Since his comeback, he has hardly played for the club. De Gea has been in superb form over the past few months. He has single-handedly won points with several world-class saves.
Henderson appears unlikely to displace the Spaniard anytime soon, and there are no surprises that he is eyeing an exit. He may need to wait until the summer to move on.
The Red Devils re-signed Tom Heaton over the summer to act as the third-choice keeper, but the 35-year-old has just one appearance to his name since the start of last season.
Rangnick would surely have second thoughts over trusting Heaton to provide back-up to De Gea in case of any emergency. It seems a no-brainer to keep Henderson for the campaign.
The £16.2 million-rated star has the credentials to become United’s number one, but the exceptional form of De Gea means that he may have to pursue a new challenge away from the club.
While Jordan Pickford remains an undisputed starter for England, Henderson would want to at least push for a World Cup berth next winter with regular first-team football.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Ralf Rangnick confirms two Man Utd starters vs West Ham United
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Barcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele tempted by Man Utd move
- Will Jesse Lingard move to Newcastle or Tottenham this transfer window?
- Man Utd cool down interest in Denis Zakaria
- Man Utd may not approve Ralf Rangnick’s wish to sign Amadou Haidara
- Juventus in direct contact with Man Utd over Anthony Martial loan deal
- Man Utd receive Martial-Dembele swap proposal from Barcelona
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Brentford
- Ralf Rangnick provides injury update on three Man Utd stars