Manchester United manager Ralf Rangnick has said that Jadon Sancho could miss the Brentford game and the remainder of the campaign with tonsillitis.
The 22-year-old has been one of United’s best performing players since the winter break with six goal contributions, but may have played his final game this term.
Sancho missed the recent 1-1 Premier League draw against Chelsea due to tonsillitis. Rangnick has now revealed that he is facing a race against time to feature again this term.
He told Manutd.com: “Jadon might be out for the rest of the season with his tonsillitis, so he will most likely be unavailable against Brentford.”
Meanwhile, Rangnick raised the possibility of Fred and Edinson Cavani making the matchday squad. Harry Maguire, Jesse Lingard and Aaron Wan-Bissaka could also return.
He added: “Right now, I don’t know but I hope Fred will make it for the Brentford game. Edinson Cavani is supposed to come back to training [Friday].”
“Then again, the question is he has been missing for the last four or five weeks, quite a long time, is he really a player who could then play against Brentford?
“Probably not to start with but at least from the bench. Apart from that, we have to wait and see. Harry Maguire [also missed the game v Chelsea], Jesse was missing for personal, family reasons. I hope that some of those players will be back on Monday.”
It remains to be seen whether there is positive news ahead of Monday’s game. As things stand, Luke Shaw (leg surgery) and Paul Pogba (calf) are sidelined alongside Sancho.
United are currently on a three-match winless run after picking up just one point against Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. They are now five points behind fourth-placed Arsenal, who have two games in hand.
Their Champions League hopes are pretty much over with just three matches left, but Rangnick will want to end on a high. Three straight wins would see them finish with a maximum of 64 points.
This would equal the club’s worst-ever Premier League points tally. Anything less would see the current squad create unwanted history. With the way the season has gone, there is every possibility of that happening.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final
- Man Utd studying right offer for Alessandro Bastoni
- Should Man Utd move for Chelsea target Josko Gvardiol?