Manchester United manager Ralf Rangnick has revealed that Edinson Cavani could make his injury comeback against Norwich City this evening.
The Uruguay international aggravated a tendon injury last month that saw him miss the World Cup qualifiers with his national team.
The 34-year-old has since been on the sidelines, but Rangnick said he could make the matchday squad against the Canaries.
He told Manutd.com: “The only possible candidate might be Edi [Cavani]. We have to wait and see.”
“He was training with the team yesterday and a couple of days before that so we have to wait and see how he feels today.”
Rangnick added that the game will come too early for Raphael Varane (fitness) and Anthony Martial (knee), but they are likely to return soon.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka (knee) and Nemanja Matic (flu) are doubtful for the clash, but Paul Pogba has been ruled out for four weeks.
The Frenchman sustained a thigh injury while training with the national side last month. Rangnick hinted that he may not return until January.
United have recently built momentum with back-to-back league wins, and they will be favourites to secure maximum points against the Canaries this evening.
Rangnick may lean towards the starting XI from the Crystal Palace win.
Mason Greenwood could be a candidate to start after producing a stand-out display in the Champions League draw against Young Boys.
It has been an injury disrupted season for the Red Devils, but Rangnick could have a potentially fully-fit squad to choose from during the back end of the campaign.
Cavani is unlikely to make the starting line-up today, but the Uruguayan should be a handy option off the bench with his aerial presence and goalscoring threat.
Cavani and Cristiano Ronaldo excelled together up front in the 3-0 win over Tottenham Hotspur back in October.
Rangnick could be tempted to try out the combination at some point.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Crystal Palace in direct talks with Man Utd for Donny van de Beek
- Roma join AC Milan in race to sign Eric Bailly
- Man Utd agree to loan Anthony Martial to Sevilla
- Man Utd favourites to sign Boubacar Kamara
- AC Milan still interested in Man Utd defender Eric Bailly
- Man Utd keeping tabs on Porto winger Luis Diaz
- Man Utd shortlist four candidates to become their next manager
- Juventus and Sevilla exploring Anthony Martial loan deal
- Anthony Martial plays key role in Man Utd’s late win vs West Ham
- Ralf Rangnick reacts to Marcus Rashford’s dramatic winner against West Ham