Manchester United manager Ralf Rangnick has confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo is fit to play against Norwich City despite a gruesome shin injury against Everton last weekend.
The Portugal international suffered a nasty cut on his shin which was revealed after the Toffees defeat, but this is unlikely to hamper his prospects of starting against the Canaries.
Speaking in yesterday’s press conference via Manutd.com, Rangnick confirmed that there are no concerns over the 37-year-old’s fitness ahead of the game, he said: “Yes, he’s fit to play.”
The £31.5 million-rated star has netted 18 goals since his homecoming after 12 years last summer, but his form has been poor since the turn of the year with just four goals. Three of those came against Spurs.
It was predicted that the hat-trick would turn around his fortunes for the rest of the campaign, but he has drawn blank in each of the last two outings against Atletico Madrid and Everton.
Today’s game against the Canaries presents the perfect chance to get back onto the scoresheet, but Dean Smith’s side cannot be taken lightly despite being bottom of the league standings.
The reverse meeting at Carrow Road saw the Canaries create the better scoring chances. The game was eventually decided by the solitary goal from the penalty spot from Ronaldo.
These are games where United have tended to stumble this campaign. They can ill-afford another setback with already six points separating them from fourth-placed Tottenham Hotspur.
United need to basically win their remaining seven games of the season and hope Spurs crumble under pressure from now until the end of the campaign. It seems improbable at the moment.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres
- Man Utd sell out season tickets for next season, but when will £200m+ renovation start?
- Harry Maguire makes England squad for Nations League games
- Man Utd handed blow in pursuit of Darwin Nunez
- Erik ten Hag gives his verdict on Harry Maguire’s Man Utd captaincy
- Man Utd to receive summer spending boost with £48m cleared off wage bill
- Erik ten Hag looking forward to Donny van de Beek reunion
- Bruno Fernandes produces dismal display at Crystal Palace
- David de Gea sends clear message to unhappy Man Utd stars