Manchester United manager Ralf Rangnick heaped praise on the performance of Cristiano Ronaldo during Saturday’s 3-2 Premier League win over Norwich City.
The Red Devils returned to winning ways against the Canaries, but their overall display was far from convincing. There were underlying defensive issues once again.
Ronaldo opened the scoring in the seventh minute before doubling the lead with a headed effort in the 32nd. However, the Canaries pulled level with goals from Kieran Dowell and Teemu Pukki.
The game seemed to be heading for a potential stalemate, but Ronaldo made the difference once more. The Portuguese bagged his hat-trick with a trademark freekick, 14 minutes from time.
Speaking after the game, Rangnick was delighted for Ronaldo. The German tactician said that it was a ‘remarkable’ performance and he was the clear ‘difference maker’ against Dean Smith’s side.
He told Manutd.com: “Yes, it is remarkable. Especially the second and third goals were brilliant goals. He showed a lot of physicality with the header and he was quite like against Tottenham today, the difference maker.”
Ronaldo has been far from his best since the turn of the year, but he has come up with two crucial hat-tricks against Tottenham and Norwich that have directly contributed to victories.
The latter of those has brought them within three points off fourth-placed Tottenham Hotspur, who suffered a surprise 1-0 defeat to Brighton & Hove Albion in Saturday’s early kick-off.
United may now feel they have a genuine chance of qualifying for the Champions League, but there is still plenty of work to be done. They have a tough midweek outing at Liverpool.
Rangnick will be hoping the Red Devils can get something out of the game at Anfield. The players should go into the game with confidence, but they must improve their defensive showing.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final
- Man Utd studying right offer for Alessandro Bastoni
- Should Man Utd move for Chelsea target Josko Gvardiol?