Manchester United manager Ralf Rangnick has explained the reason behind Donny van de Beek’s temporary move to Everton during the January transfer window.
The Netherlands international struggled for regular playing time since his arrival at Old Trafford in 2020, and his situation did not improve when Rangnick took charge as the interim boss in December.
Crystal Palace were leading the race to sign him last month before the Toffees hijacked the deal after the recommendation of new manager Frank Lampard.
Rangnick has now said that the 24-year-old was allowed to leave amid the competition for places. He added that van de Beek is a ‘fantastic’ person, and backed him show his quality with the Toffees.
He told Manutd.com: ”In the end it is a question of competition. He didn’t get enough game time, but that is not to say he is not good enough to play in the Premier League or for Manchester United.”
”I am pretty sure he will get the game time at Everton and show what kind of quality player he can be. He is a fantastic person.
“In the last nine or ten weeks whilst I have got to know him in person, I am fully aware he is a fantastic team player and I wish him all the very best.”
Van de Beek joined United from Ajax with a big reputation as he could play in both the central and attacking midfield positions while making regular goal contributions.
However, he has barely made a similar impact since and can’t be blamed. The Dutchman has been limited to just 580 minutes of Premier League football across 27 appearances.
With the switch to Merseyside, he should be assured with regular minutes in the top-flight, and it could bring the best out of him, thus reviving his form from his Ajax days.
United were quite clear that they did not want to include a buy clause. It is a wise decision as the next manager will have the choice to keep or sell him depending on his loan spell.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final