Manchester United manager Ralf Rangnick has confirmed a couple of absentees for Sunday’s Premier League clash against Leeds United on the road.
The Red Devils recently returned to winning ways with a 2-0 triumph over Brighton & Hove Albion.
The victory moved them back into fourth spot. They will be aiming to sustain their position with another win.
Ahead of Sunday’s game at Elland Road, Rangnick confirmed two players are out with injuries.
He told Manutd.com: “Well, as it seems, Edinson Cavani will still be out.
“He is still having some problems with his groin and, on the other hand, also some with his stomach.
“The same is true with Tom Heaton. Apart from that, everybody else seems to be available.”
Raphael Varane was initially in the starting line-up against Brighton on Tuesday, only to be withdrawn with a stomach bug.
He looks set to make his comeback, judging by Rangnick’s press comments.
Eric Bailly could also return after recovering from a swollen ankle. The duo could be joined by Nemanja Matic.
Rangnick has confirmed that he could be ready for Sunday after a brief absence with a shin problem.
United have been largely inconsistent since the beginning of the year. They have dropped points against teams where they have been widely fancied to pick up victories.
With Leeds’ poor defensive record this term, United have an excellent opportunity to secure maximum points, but they must capitalise on the scoring chances created.
It has been a prime concern over the past few weeks. The entire attack has misfired in stages. United comfortably beat Leeds 5-1 in the curtain-raiser in August.
However, it won’t be straightforward at Elland Road. United played out a frustrating goalless draw at the stadium during the back end of last season.
They can’t afford another repeat with the fierce competition for the Champions League positions during the current campaign.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final